Packed with tons of features, Thunderbird is one of the best messaging apps available to the user. The best thing about using Thunderbird Mail is that users can customize it according to their needs. Messaging comes with beautiful themes and attractive extensions. Thunderbird email privacy and security settings are combined with the latest technology to share the best and most secure user experience. Features like Do Not Track, Remote Content Blocking makes Thunderbird one of the most secure communication platforms. However, like any other application or software, Thunderbird Mail also suffers from several technical issues. One of the most common problems users face is that Thunderbird email is not working.
Fortunately, you can easily fix the problem by following a few simple troubleshooting steps. In this guide, we are going to provide you with simple instructions that will help you fix the Thunderbird email not working issue on your device. Keep reading and find simple solutions to get rid of the error.
How to Fix Thunderbird Email Not Working Error
No application or software is safe from technical hiccups and downtime. If your Thunderbird email has stopped working and you’re having trouble sending or receiving email, the following troubleshooting steps may help resolve the issue.
1. Verify Thunderbird Password
The first and foremost thing you need to do to solve the Thunderbird email not working error is to verify the password. Sometimes user uses the wrong password due to which he is unable to access mail services. To verify the password.
- Open a web browser, navigate to gmail.com.
- Here type email id and password.
- If you have entered the wrong password, you will be asked to reset it.
- You can simply click on the “Forgot Email” option and reset the password.
2. Check Server Settings
If your password is correct and you are still having mail issues with Thunderbird, you should check the server settings. To check server settings, follow the steps below.
- Tap the email account you’re having technical issues with.
- Click “Options”. Go to “Account Settings”.
- Select “Server Settings”.
- To ensure that you have entered the correct information, check the following details in your email account.
- The domain name must be (mail.example.com). Here, the server name is mail.
- The port number for IMAP settings should be 993. And, for the POP setting, it should be 995.
- Connection security must be set to “TLS/SSL”.
- The username must be the full email address of the user.
- For authentication, you will need to enter a password.
Note:- You may receive a warning message stating that the server does not support encryption due to some security issue. This could be the reason why Thunderbird email is not responding to your queries and making communication weak. You should fix this problem by following the steps below.
Modify the Settings
- When you receive a warning message, you will see a “Change Settings” button. Click on the button.
- Replace “Security Connection” with “SSL/TLS”.
- Set the port number to 993.
- Set the authentication method to “Normal Password”.
Once you have made the changes, relaunch Thunderbird on your device.
Unable to Send or Receive Email on Thunderbird?
There are several reasons why your Thunderbird email isn’t working, such as incorrect server settings, installed antivirus programs, or a problem with the Internet service provider. Continue with the steps below to know how you can fix it.
1. Check IMAP Settings
To receive an email, your email needs IMAP settings. Check the IMAP settings to make sure everything is correct.
- Open your email.
- Go to “Account Settings”.
- Click on “Server Settings”.
Make sure you are using port 993, “regular password” and SSL/TLS.
2. Check SMTP Settings
To send messages, your email needs SMTP settings. To check SMTP settings, follow the steps below.
- Go to the “Account Settings” section.
- Click “Outgoing Server”.
Make sure you are using game ‘587’, login protection like ‘none’ and ‘normal password’.
3. Whitelist Thunderbird Emails in Antivirus
If all is well and your Thunderbird email is still not working, then it could be caused by the antivirus and firewall installed on your device. You must whitelist Thunderbird’s email in your antivirus to continue using the services. Here are the steps to follow.
in Windows Security
- Go to Settings.
- Select “Update & Security”.
- Select “Windows Security”.
- Under “Virus & Threat Protection” select “Wedding Settings”.
- Select “Add or Remove Exclusions”.
- Choose Thunderbird.
For Windows Firewall
- Type firewall in the Windows search bar.
- Select “Allow an application through firewall”.
- Click “Change Settings”.
- Click “Allow any other app” and add Thunderbird.
4. Update Thunderbird
An older version of Thunderbird can also be the reason why Thunderbird Mail has stopped working. If you want to continue using Thunderbird email services, you will need to update the Thunderbird app. The following steps can help you update Thunderbird.
- Run the Thunderbird app.
- Go to the “Help” menu.
- Click the “About Thunderbird” option.
- The software will check for updates.
- Click “Restart Thunderbird” once the update is ready to be installed.
5. Reinstall Thunderbird
If none of the above steps helped you fix the Thunderbird email not working error on your device, then your application may be corrupt. You can easily fix the problem by reinstalling the Thunderbird app on your device. However, some registry entries, all files left behind are what Thunderbird applications purchase after installation. These files may cause you trouble in the future, so it is suggested to delete these files from the device.
Hope the above steps will help you to resolve the Thunderbird email not working error on the device. If you are still unable to access Thunderbird email services, it is recommended to contact support professionals via email and seek expert advice to resolve the issue immediately. Experts are available round the clock, so you can reach out to them whenever you want immediate assistance.