Millions of people used the Hotmail email service years ago. But when it merged with Microsoft’s Outlook, most Hotmail users found that their accounts had been compromised. Also noticed suspicious behavior such as anonymous emails sent from his address. Many people’s accounts have also been blocked. If you’ve found that your Hotmail account hacked and you can’t access your account, you need to know how to regain control of all your important emails.
In such a situation, you can adopt several methods. In this article, you will find detailed instructions to use these methods and know-how to recover a Hotmail account.
How to Recover Hacked Hotmail Account?
You can either change your password or visit the Microsoft account sign-in page to regain access to your account. These two methods are described in detail below.
1. Change Your Password
This is for users whose account has been hacked, but they can still access their account. To learn how to recover a hacked Hotmail account by changing the password, follow the steps below.
- Tap on the gear icon to access Settings. You’ll find this icon in the upper right corner next to your account name.
- From the menu, select “More email settings”. This is the fourth option under Color Swatches. You will be redirected to the “Options” page.
- To access the language menu, tap on “Account Details”. You can see this button under the “Manage your account” heading.
- Tap on “Change Password”. This will open the password form.
- Enter your new and old passwords in the respective text fields. Then press “Save”.
- Note that you will need to enter your new password twice. Password must be at least 8 characters long. It is recommended to set a strong password consisting of lowercase and uppercase letters, symbols, and numbers.
- Log in to your account to check the changes. At this point, you can also tell all your contacts that you have now taken control of your Hotmail account.
2. Recover Access to Your Account
Microsoft has a built-in feature that automatically locks out suspicious accounts. Users may be unaware that someone is accessing their email accounts. But if Microsoft detects unusual activity, the account is temporarily locked. Here is the process to recover a hacked Hotmail account using Microsoft’s account sign-in page.
Steps to recover the account using MS Account login page
- Go to the account login page.
- Once there, select “Forgot Password” present under the Username and Password text fields. You will be redirected to the password recovery page.
- Then select “I think someone else is using my Microsoft account,” then click “Next.” You will then be redirected to the account recovery page.
- Now type the email id which you think has been compromised.
- Enter the captcha character in the relevant text field. If you’re having trouble identifying the characters, click “New.” It will bring a whole new set of characters.
- Now choose a method to receive the security code. If you have a recovery email or contact number associated with your account, select it. You will get a code sent to your email address or contact number.
- Now press “Next”. You need to enter the code on the page to be redirected to reset the password.
- Enter an email ID on the “Recover your Microsoft account” page, then tap “Next.” The email ID entered by you should be the same one that you can access.
- Complete the form and enter the correct information. Then press “Submit”.
- After submitting the form, you have to wait for a day or 24 hours for the response.
- After 24 hours, you will receive a link to reset your email account password. But if the information you entered was not accurate or sufficient, you will receive an email to notify you.
- Now reset your password. Tap on the Reset Password link and you will be taken to a page where you can create a new password. Here, you will have to type your new password twice so that there is no mistake.
Recover the Language of Your Recovered Account if it has been changed
If your Hotmail has been hacked and you find that your language has changed while recovering it, you can reset it. Follow the steps below and reset your account language.
- Log in to the account you recovered and tap the gear icon to access Settings.
- From the menu, select the “More email settings” option. Now you will be redirected to the options page.
- Press “Language” to access the language menu. You can find this button under the heading “Outlook Optimization.”
- Select the desired language from the list and press “Save”. You will find that each language list will be in its original alphabet.
Bonus Tips to Protect Your Hotmail Account
Now that you know everything about how to recover a hacked Hotmail account, you need to be more aware of the security of your account. This should be your priority when sending and receiving emails. If you use your Hotmail account for business purposes or make purchases online, you should make security a priority.
If it gets hacked, it can be a very costly problem and you will face a lot of problems with your credit card numbers and other sensitive data.
One of the most important ways to keep your account secure is to create a strong password. Make sure it includes a good mix of capital letters, symbols, and numbers. You should also have another email ID that you can use whenever your original account is hacked.
Hope you now know what to do when you have got your Hotmail account hacked. The steps are not very difficult to implement but are necessary to protect your account.
If you find yourself unable to complete the instructions in this article, it is best to contact Hotmail’s professional customer support service. Technicians will help you recover your account efficiently.